2.06.2010

February goes boinnnnggggggggg

That was the first thought that popped into my mind this morning so it's time to get it out and on 'paper' here, so to speak!

So first of all it's early Spring Fever time around here. I think the Groundhog seeing his shadow earlier this week (meaning, six more weeks of winter) was only meant for east coasters who are getting their asses whooped with a boatload of snow right now. Meanwhile, way over here it's bright, mild dry, blue skies most of the day and I actually ran errands without a coat on Thursday! We're normally water-logged and dimmed over with thick, grey skies and it can get downright depressing if you are not used to it. I am a pacific northwest native so while I admit it gets me down, I try to think positively and remember all that drizzle and rain is why it's so beautiful and GREEN here compared to other parts of the country.

I feel a different vibe these days all around and I think it's partly due to the nice weather. People are in good spirits, smiling, friendly...and dare I say the economy is bubbling back to life just a little. Every recruiter I've talked with has been buried with new job openings to fill (YES!), and a good friend of mine in real estate has a couple listings to work on after a rather dry and comatose stint.

It feels like there's another swirling crescendo of goodness wrapping itself around me and frankly I'm not going to question it. I'll take it! Ever get that feeling when you're on a roll and ready to pull out and up over being a bit dormant perhaps or a bit down? Maybe it's the psychological boost of the fresh new decade and the promises it keeps secret with a wry smile. What will happen at each turn of the calendar page in 2010?

There are a couple of job leads that seem promising but I know to keep patient and that if it doesn't happen it wasn't meant to be. Frankly, I rocked out in a "go-see" type of meeting with a consulting firm I've kept in touch with over the years. I felt good in my standard dress-and-heels interview attire, hair color freshly touched up, happy and glowing. You know it's a good sign when you're feeling confident and it shows - genuinely. You have a good hair day and your makeup goes on effortlessly. And if you accidentally punch a thumb through your pantyhose you can stop the run with a little clear nail polish before it turns into a racing stripe down one leg. When an 'interview' is really more of a conversation...even better. I have a phone screen on Monday with the client - these guys are moving fast - love it!

Meanwhile, the pro bono work I'm doing is rumbling along too. Our Founder/CEO was selected to be interviewed by a prominent local business publication - what an honor! Will a paying gig come along soon for the company? I cross all my fingers and toes and wonder.

And I decided it was time to start dating again. I haven't been in a relationship for about a year and a half and while I've had a few dates since then nothing really took off. Honestly, I've felt very fulfilled being single - I'm not one of those types who "always has to have a boyfriend." I'd thought about waiting before giving it another shot, with the reasoning to first find a job, wait till I got back in shape and blah blah blah.

And then...I said to myself - "what the hell am I waiting for??" I'm the same person whether I am size 6 or size 12 and whether I have a "real" paycheck or collect unemployment!

I'll keep this part short and sweet for now - I know to trust my gut...and I am so very glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment